Cuban Style Ropa Vieja
- 3 lbs flank Steak
- 2 each medium Spanish onions, sliced thin
- 4 each red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 4 each green bell peppers, sliced thin
- 6 each garlic cloves (3 smashed & 3 chopped)
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 jar Saucy Chipotle Salsa
- 32 oz beef stock
- 32 oz water
- 8 oz Mexican style beer
- 3 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp coriander
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot combine flank steak, ½ the sliced onions, peppers, smashed garlic, ¼ bunch cilantro, ½ jar of salsa, beef stock & water. Season generously with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer, then cover.
2. Check the meat after simmering for 2 hours to see if it begins to shred apart. If ready then remove meat and set aside on a baking tray.
3. Strain the liquid out of the pot and reserve.
4. Being shredding the meat using two forks, pulling away from one another till completely shredded.
5. Heat olive oil in large sauté pan, then add in onions, pepper sand chopped garlic and cook on medium-high. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Once caramelized, add in shredded beef, cumin & coriander and combine well.
6. Deglaze pan with beer and cook down for 2 minutes. Add in remaining salsa, 2 ½ cups of the reserved braising liquid and mix well and cover for 10 minutes, periodically stirring every few minutes.
7. Check seasoning to see if it needs more salt and pepper, if happy then finish with ¼ bunch of chopped cilantro.
8. Serve with white rice or tortillas & enjoy!